Friday, July 11, 2008

Have you ever tried to sleep on a sleeper bus?


"Bed" may not be the best word to describe the long padded sections of the sleeper bus that we spent 15 hours in from Hanoi to Hue. Each peron's "bed" inclined slightly for your head, and it had a little cave to put your feet in. (The foot cave actually created the incline for the head of the person in front of you.) The only problem is that these "beds" weren't made for Westerners, so when I extended my feet to the end of the cave, the inclined part for my head hit me about mid-back. When I squooshed down so that my head was in its proper position, my knees were bent up and hit the top of the cave. The best option I could find was to sleep on my side. For awhile, I had my feet on top of the cave, but then I accidentally kicked the head of the poor German man in front of me. Even if you could maneuver a reasonably comfortable position, the Vietnamese pop music made it hard to find complete rest. (I had a weird dream about incorporating international pop music performances into General Conference.) The bus itslef had 2 tiers of 3 rows of little beds. I was in the middle row, bottom tier towards the back of the bus and my Luce friends were in the neighboring beds.

After 15 hours, we made it to Hue. A shower and a rest in our hostel revived us enough to spend the rest of the day exploring the cool ruins of the Imperial City.

4 comments:

julie schenk said...

I am so glad I'm on your blog list. What an adventure! I leave Monday for Mexico to stay with a family who doesn't speak English for 2 weeks. I hope this will improve my Spanish! Have fun. You're great!

beccashim said...

Oh hi, Jen Kehtlwnd!@^$%#las!

I have tried sleeping on a sleeper. Except I actually did get some quality sleep and my "sleeper" was a train. Also, I woke up with a drunk man in bed with me.

The End.

Meg Ruth said...

JSnuck, you and Shimsie could have a serious competition about whose life is more crazy-awesome.

Lara said...

WOW. Jen, I'm so glad you are over there! What an adventure. I'll be reading your blog! love you