The biggest tragedy of the trip so far is that Seth - who used to want to be a veternarian and who was more excited about shark diving than almost anything else on the trip other than soccer - was too seasick to cage shark dive. He took these pictures of me moments before he upchuked over the side of the boat. The crew would have allowed him to go in, but he could barely move.
Initially, I had absolutely no desire to go: getting into a clausterophic cage in freezing cold water with human-eating beasts did not sound like fun at all. But Seth had made reservations about a month ago, and he convinced me last minute to try to squeeze onto the list. I got super nervous beforehand - I come from a family of surfers and Jaws-watchers.
Once I relunctantly loaded the boat, they took us out to an island full of seals, and anchored in the middle of a stormy sea (thus the motion sickness) with an 8-person cage hanging alongside the boat. Once you're in the cage, you float with your head just above the surface of the water while a guy on the ship throws out a huge chunk of tuna bait attached to a string. Then, as he spots a shark approaching, he yells, "Down on left!" That's our cue to submerge our heads and look left as a shark comes barreling towards us. Then he'll yell, "Down middle!" and we hold our breathe and look straight ahead.
About a dozen sharks came within three feet of my face. It was not scary, but thrilling, especially when they approached us with their mouths wide open. Every time we came up for air, the people next to me in the cage would scream, "Holy cow! Did you see that?!" Then we would pop our heads down for more. After 15 minutes or so in the cage, there was still great shark watching from the boat. We saw some amazing breeches, and saw one shark attmept to eat the bait that was stuck on the side of the cage. (See picture.)
About 30 minutes after my turn in the water, I also got seasick and puked off the side of the boat. But I recovered quickly and the experience was still totally worth it. It's just kind of sad that I - the animal hater - got to have the experience that Seth - the animal lover - wanted. I will keep trying to give animals a chance.
7 comments:
Chills.
Jen. I am SHOCKED that you don't like animals. I almost want to make you get on the next plane for the US because animals are what Africa is all about. Why do I feel like people who are passionate about recycling and body image should also love wild animals. Guess I stereotyped wrong.
Dying of the jealousy. Dying.
I'm curious how it was not scary! I guess you rationally decided the cage was strong enough to hold back the jaws of the shark...but still! I'm impressed Jen! ANd how sad for Seth!!! Keep posting! I can't wait to see what you do tomorrow!
That is out of control!!! Too close for comfort for me! I am glad you had fun!
I am petrified of the open water. So proud of you :)
The fact that you were attacked by a shark before I a was jsut doens't seem right. I'm incredibly jealous.
Post a Comment