2. Men
Yes, men are stereotypically more into sports than women, but I've never been at a sporting even where I have been so obviously outnumbered. At the Apartheid museum in Joburg, tons of men. At Cape Point, tons of men. On my township tour, I was the only woman. Every restaurant and hostel is full of men. But I'm not complaining: last night I watched the Ghana game with a suave Argentine who bought me dinner.
3. Seattle-ites
Almost every other American I meet here is from Seattle. No joke. On my first day, I spotted a guy with a Sounders scarf, and it turns out that he is from the neighborhood next to mine. There were 8 Americans - including me and Seth - watching the USA vs. Algeria game on a small TV in our hostel owner's personal bedroom. (The hostel bar with the big screen was showing the England vs. Slovenia game.) FOUR of us - 50% - were from Seattle. Yesterday I met a guy who teaches first grade in a Seattle suburb. We watched the Brazil match together at the Cape Town Fan Fest park (see #7). I love my city!
4. Kentucky Fried Chickens
There are surprisingly few American chains here. No Starbucks. No Wal-Marts. But tons of KFC's. Every small rural Black township we drove through had one. The city is littered with them.
5. International Flags
6. Flat Screen TV's
Every restaurant, bar, store and shopping center has a TV showing the World Cup matches. Between these TV's and the car radio, I have seen or heard probably 90% of the games. The two days that there were not any games, I hardly knew what to do with myself.
7. FIFA Fan Fest Parks

3 comments:
I am going to refrain from making a joke about Africans and fried chicken, just out of my love and respect for you Jen.
A love affair with the Dutch can only last so long.
Clearly no other team would celebrate riotously if they made it to the semifinals by beating one of the favorites. Why look at Germany. They didn't. Of course they also are emotionless machines with no souls.
I loved this post-- it was a great look into your experience in Africa! Lots of men, huh? Are you going to bring one or two home? =)
Post a Comment