Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Firsts

For Memorial Day weekend, I went to the infamous Duck Beach - a gathering of about 1,000 LDS singles on the beaches of North Carolina. For the three years I lived in NYC, I haughtily rejected this East Coast tradition. Yet for some reason it made sense to me to fly from Seattle to Washington, D.C. and then drive 6 hours to spend 2 days in a house with 40 people I barely knew.

Part of me just wanted to observe the spectacle. However, my hopes for one day making a juicy documentary have been dashed: there was surprisingly less drama than I would have expected from a Mormon Spring Break. But the trip did allow for many firsts. For example, it was my first time to:
puke on an airplane,


see my dear friend Melissa pregnant,


be in the state of North Carolina,


stay in a house that had an elevator, movie theater, pool, sauna, hot tub, billiards room, dozens of flat screens, integrated sound system, and beach access, but not a garbage disposal,


sleep in movie theater stadium seats,
(That's not me, but that is the very room I slept in.)


meet someone who actually, sincerely, honestly likes Glenn Beck,


eat at Chick-Fil-A,


attend a church that was so crowded that people were sitting in the hallways,
(The ward had even rented chairs from the local school.)


roll my own sushi,


and kayak on the Potomac with my bro Jeffrey.

In five days, I get to experience the "first" that I've been anticipating for four years:
first time on the continent of Africa!

7 comments:

Erika said...

Well if you can do all that flying to North Carolina, I don't see why you can't come to Texas.

How have you never eaten at Chick-Fil-A?

Have a blast in Africa. Take lots of pics, please!

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to World Cup reports. When will your trip to South Africa begin?

Kristen Erekson said...

My commentary: Fun to read about your experience! Sorry you threw up :( I didn't know that your beach house was so fancy...and that it had an *elevator*! That's fun that Melissa is having a baby! Awesome that you rolled your own sushi--isn't that fun? I am a fan! I want to kayak on the Potomac too!
p.s. Like your other readers, I'm excited for the S Africa report!

Emily said...

My commentary: it could read exactly like Kristen's! We must be sisters! P.S. It was fun to run into Jeffrey in the Smithsonian History Museum!

triciarnorton said...

The house probably had a sceptic tank. Boo. No garbage disposal.

Lady Holiday said...

Yay for North Carolina! It's a great place. Also, I love Chick-Fil-A. I've been loving reading your world cup coverage. Keep up the blogging!

Em said...

You amaze me! I live vicariously through you and your adventures. So happy you made it to the World Cup.

and for some reason your glenn beck comment made me lol.