Last weekend, in honor of Mother's Day, I climbed to the summit of Mt. St. Helens wearing a dress. It's part of a tradition originating in the late '80's that both men and women participate in. I got my dress at a thrift shop the day before the hike, but full disclosure, I didn't actually wear it for the entire climb. It was so hot after the first mile, that my hiking companions and I all took off our dresses and did not put them on again until the summit.
I went with five other lady friends, and it was a long, steady climb: we ascended 4,500 feet over about 5 miles to reach the summit at 8,365 feet. (Prior to the 1980 explosion, the summit as 9,677 ft!) It took us a little under 6 hours to get to the top, and then only 2.5 hours to come down because we glissaded, or slid down a snow trail on our butts. This awesome youtube video that shows exactly what we did and gives you a great flavor for glissading. It basically makes you feel like you are on a large adult playground.
At the summit, we couldn't get too close to the edge of the crater because the snow cornices could give way at any moment, but I did get close enough to snap this picture that captures the dramatic gap in the mountain where the whole thing gave way in 1980. Notice the small mound at the bottom where a new "summit" is forming. If you zoom in enough, you can see the steam. That's Mt. Rainier off to the far right!
It is amazing to be a part of nature that feels so alive. It's a double bonus to do it in honor of mothers everywhere. I LOVE MY MOM!
More pictures from our climb are here:
![]() |
| Before and After |


4 comments:
That looks like an incredibly fun descent...and a very hard trudge up
you are so cool. I want to go to Uganda with you, but I have internship....next year???
Amazing! I always wished I had done that while living in Seattle.
This is rad. Next time, strap your skis to your back so you can ski down
Post a Comment