![]() | |||
| Suzy Gillies, founder of APF |
| Jewelry - hand-made by Ugandan women from recycled paper - at one of the house parties I threw last year. |
I am co-leading a service learning trip to
Uganda this August 12th-26th, and we are still looking for a few enthusiastic volunteers!
Over a year ago, a friend introduced me to Suzy Gillies, a Mormon mom of five and founder of African Promise
Foundation, an organization devoted to helping women and children in Uganda. I became involved with the organization by doing house parties to sell their hand-made Ugandan jewelry, and then I got invited to be on the board.
In addition to selling jewelry, every year Suzy leads a trip to Uganda that is part service and part cultural exposure.
There are ten volunteers signed up so far, and we still have room for two more! At this point, it's an all-girls trip with ages ranging from 13 to 44, but men are welcome too.
Here are the details:
DATE: August 12-26, 2013
COST: $1,800 plus air fare. (Trip fees over lodging, food, ground transportation, supplies)
WHERE: various locations in Northern Uganda
See more details in the link below, and let me know if
you are interested or have any questions. Please spread the word!
http://

4 comments:
There may be people who cannot attend but would be willing to help someone who can. Is there a way to make contributions towards those who want to go and are short of funds?
I guess no one reads these comments? Hello?
I have no idea who you are, but thank you so much for your generous offer! I was so grateful when that was presented as a possibility, but we were able to fill the last two spots with a couple people who were able to pay. I do, however, know of people who expressed interest in going in the future but were worried about cost. Does your offer still stand for a sponsorship for next summer?
Oh, how I would love to come. I had done a Bead for Life party some years ago (similar products also from Uganda) and have it on my bucket list, still. Having those jewelry items around are a great reminder to me to be thankful.
Post a Comment