But I will miss emailing/texting/talking to my brothers almost every day about great Olympic moments, and I will miss having an excuse to go over to friends' houses almost every night. I organized an Olympics watching schedule for my group of friends so that we had different places to gather to watch together during the 17-day event.
We kicked off our rotation with an Opening Ceremonies party where I went as the 80's track star Flo Jo - colorful long fake nails included. (They made me want to rip my hands off.)
Here are some of my favorite moments from London 2012. I recognize that these reflect what I was able to experience through the tyranny of NBC, its producers and its commentators, but I willingly submitted to their attempts to manipulate my emotions, and I loved every minute of it. (NOTE: Unfortunately not all the video links capture the entirety of each moment that I describe.)
- Alex Morgan's winning goal in the 123rd minute of overtime in the semi-final game vs Canada.
- Manteo Mitchell running the first leg of the men's 4x400 relay with a broken leg.
- The swim team's Call Me Maybe lip synch video.
- Missy Franklin greeting her parents after the medal ceremony and asking her mom if she was wearing a new shirt.
- Aly Raisman starting to cry (min 1:40) before she finished her floor routine because she knew that it meant a team gold.
- Aly Raisman's parents in the stands.
- The sportsmanship shown in the bib exchange (min 3:30) on the track between Pistorius and Kirani James, the soon-to-be first gold medalist from Grenada.
- Serena Williams saying "it was probably flying to come hug me" when the US flag fell during her gold medal ceremony.
- The look on wonder on Nathan Adrian's face when he won gold in the 100m free, and the shot of Lochte and Phelps cheering him on from back stage.
- The look on the judges' faces and the commentators' reaction when McKayla did her near perfect vault.
- Soni breaking the world record in her semi-final breaststroke race and then breaking it again the next day in the final.
- Every time a Brit won a gold medal, especially when Andy Murray did it. He cried when he lost to Federer a month ago at Wimbledon. He cried when he beat him. (min 3:55)
- The defection of the Cameroonians.
- Carmelita Jeter pointing at the world record clock as she broke the world record and crossed the finished line in the women's 4x100m relay.
- The Target commercial showing kids getting accepted into college. It makes me tear up every time.
- The Coke commercial that made me feel great about every Diet Coke I have ever consumed.
- The Onion article mocking Andrea Kremer's horrible pool side interviews.
- Flint, Michigan's reception of their home star 17-year-old Clarerssa Shields, women's boxing gold medalist.
- Quote from our Closing Ceremonies party: "I can't tell who that is because he's wearing clothes. I only recognize him by his chest."
Til Rio 2016...where you should keep your eyes out for me and my brother Jeffrey as the first ever co-ed synchronized swimming duo. We will be resurrecting a routine originally choreographed in a lake in the late '90's.

5 comments:
Thanks for helping me live many of the highlights that I missed in Russia. This was great. I am shocked, however, that you didn't choose any highlights of female Russian gymnasts
Ooo and David Cameron's response to Romney's concerns about security???
epic post. epic olympic moments. thanks for helping everyone enjoy the olympics, jen! when do we start training??
I've saved this post so that I can do a full review when I get bck to the US next year... NBC's videos are not available in Korea. Can you imagine anything more frustrating?
LOVE this!!!!
Post a Comment