I accidentally saw her in concert a few years ago at a Seattle music festival, and I couldn't dance or sing or sway with the music because I was immobilized by the horrible, sexualized display of modern pop.
Then about a month ago, I did a 200-mile running relay race with 12 girlfriends called RAGNAR. We each ran three different legs of the 2-day overnight race that took us from Blaine, Washington to Whidby Island.
My last leg was 6.4 miles up hard hills. I usually don't run with music, but since it was going to be such a long haul, I borrowed my friend's iPod nano and put it on shuffle.
When the song Firework came up, I felt my pace pick up. The afternoon sun was pushing back the clouds and from the top of the hill I had just crested, I had a sweeping view of the Puget Sound. When the song ended, I hit "back" and listened to it again. Then I listened to it again, this time pumping my arms at the "Oh, Oh, Oh" in the chorus and running even faster. Exhilarated by the song, the moment, the view, and the whole event, I yelled out, "I LOVE RUNNING!" Which is funny because I don't actually love running. (It is still unclear to me if I actually yelled out loud or if I was just yelling in my head.)
This was my pass-off to my teammate Linda after I completed the joyful "Katy Perry leg" of the race.


5 comments:
Sometimes when a Katy Perry song comes on during my run, I turn the volume down just a little, worried that somehow someone nearby will know...
That is annoying when songs are so catchy that you don't want to like! I must admit I like that song too. Mike grew up in Whidby Island and loves it! Way to be an awesome runner!
We (well my parents) have a vacation place on Whidbey! I spent almost all of my childhood vacations there, like 4 times a year. That kind of makes me homesick!
Also, it is NOT your fault that Katy Perry sings that song. Don't hold it against yourself. I am embarrassingly empowered by Miley Cyrus's "The Climb." There. I said it. Now at least when we look at each other, we will know the truth.
You are a firework!
So I am totally with you on being an anti-Katy. But Firework has touched even my black heart once or twice. I hate to admit that a song that uses the words 'plastic bag' has affected me in such a way but it's true.
Post a Comment