Wednesday, March 28, 2012

And while we're on the subject of Mormon women...


... Have you seen the new guidelines for sister missionary dress?

Bright colors!

Patterns!

Accessories!

Fashions of the day!

Shocking!


It's a good thing these weren't the standards 10 years ago because I would have had a hard time putting together a qualifying wardrobe.

Here, for example, is one of my many brown jumpers.

Long.

Drab.

Shapeless.

And worn with T-shirts and Doc Martens Mary Janes.

Even in 2002, these were not the "fashions of the day." 

There is worse evidence, but I don't have digital pictures from the mission; this one was pulled off of a Brazilian Elder's facebook.

Since my mission, I have done my best to try to not look like a sister missionary.

(Although I think I only gave away those Doc Martens last year.) 

Now it will be a challenge to be as cute as one.

8 comments:

Cassia Morais said...

Shocking!!!!!!!! I wish we had these guidelines back in 2002 :( But I tried my best with all my dresses LOL!!!!!! My mission pictures are hidden....LOL

Tara H said...

That's awesome, I am glad they have changed. I took one look at the guidebook (also in 2002!!) and packed the opposite! lol Thankfully I knew my mission had different ideas about what was ok. I even got reprimanded for the skirt I wore the day I entered the MTC! Did you have to get the "look over"? The lady told me it was too loud.
btw- I have loved catching up on your blog!!!

Pops said...

The Sisters in our stake haven't gotten the memo!

Laura said...

So sad...I secretly loved my shirt dresses and jumpers. It was nice to embrace frump for a full year and a half. AND don't sisters have enough to worry about? Now they have to look cute? Poor them.

Kristen Erekson said...

Holy smokes, that's incredible. Yeah, it is embarrassing what I wore. I think you summed it up well: "Since my mission, I have done my best to try to not look like a sister missionary.
Now it will be a challenge to be as cute as one."

Wren/Karen said...

I love that yellow jacket. I hauled around three awful frumpy jackets that I bought based on the guidelines and wore exactly zero times after the MTC. I don't have an incredible fashion sense even now, but I knew enough to not wear those jackets in public.

Unknown said...

THIS IS SO AMAZING!! hooray for the liberation of sister missionaries all over the world!! let's go again!! :)

Em said...

Ya know, I wondered how the sisters were all looking so stylish recently...I didn't know the guidelines had changed. Love that modern revelation in all its forms.

I too wore my share of drab, oversized cast-offs and jumpers. I think it was worse serving in a different country. For some reason it was an excuse to look 10x worse than normal...