Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Comedic Timing?


I unintentionally made an entire movie theater laugh last weekend.

I was at the movie Red. We were all engrossed in its tranquil opening scenes when out of no where the bad guys appeared on screen, and I gasped out loud.

Really loudly. In fact, it may have been more like a combination yelp/scream.

At first when people started to laugh, I thought that I had missed something funny in the split second that I had yelped and closed my eyes. But when I asked my date why everyone was laughing, he said:

"They're laughing at you!"

Oops. At least this time I did not leave the theater with a bruised elbow. That happened in another movie when bad guys startled me, and I banged my funny bone on the plastic cup holder.

I blame my jumpiness on my younger brothers, who spent our growing-up years hiding behind doors and in hallways waiting to spring on me.

They would also laugh at my tormented reaction, but then they would get pummeled.

I almost pummeled my roommate the other day when I screamed like a baby when she walked through the front door. I was engrossed in the mail, and she was wearing a hood. I don't think she thought it was very funny.

But no one got pummeled at the movie theater, and I was happy to offer the afternoon-movie-goers some additional entertainment.

(N.B. Please excuse the sheep costume in the picture. It was the closest thing I had to a surprised/shocked/startled shot.)

7 comments:

Annette said...

HAHAHA. Only you Jen, only you :)

Jerkolas said...

The real question is what are you so surprised/shocked/startled at in that picture?

Ryan Nuckols said...

Can't believe that you actually claim that you pumelled us. I believe it happened far more often that you yelled at us, told us that you hated us then ran off somewhere so you couldn't hear our laughter. Nice try though.

emilydeardeuff said...

So funny! I react out loud at movies too!

scarvesff said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lara said...

I smiled at Ryan's comment, because even though I'm your best friend, I think he might be right. =)

Em said...

This is so funny. I'm pretty sure I made a scene watching The Village in the movie theater years go.

But nothing makes my involuntary anger trigger faster than being startled. I've been known to pummel, too. I hate being caught off guard. Last week, Chuche unintentionally scared the bejeebers out of me three different times. It was not a good time for either of us. :)