It enables the proliferation of 3 things I do not like: stereotyping of large groups of marginalized people, the sexualization of women, and gore. Plus coming up with a costume that is unique enough, cute enough and modest enough is stressful.
However, my Halloween-loving roommates have completely changed my view of this holiday. Their ghoul parties, witch parties and dance parties have made this a season of whimsy and magic. Their creativity makes Halloween feel more enchanted than frustrating.
Because of the many festivities, for each of the past two years, I have had to have three costumes. It's been a blast, and my roommates' large supply of costumes, craft skills and make-up artistry have significantly decreased all costume-related stress.
2009(From left to right)
70's lady in a 70's dress - My friend Laney and I wore matching wigs to the dance party
Ghoul - A group of friends gathered for a "spooky dinner"
Disco Dancer - Yep, same wig but different dress for another party
2010(From left to right)
Sheep - I was one of seven sheep and and the cotton gluing took hours and then littered the dance floor
A "Tea Party" - As in the political movement. Ha!
Witch - 30 of us gathered for "spooky food" then a witches' stroll through a local bookstore
Many more pictures of things such as the "flock of sheep" and a "close-up of the witch's moles" can be found on facebook.
5 comments:
I'm digging that wig. Way to pull off that 70s look. I think I had a sheep costume very similar to that for a church performance back in the day.
I knew when I saw your creepy FB profile picture that there was a story. I just waited patiently for it and you didn't disappoint me. Thanks for the update :)
I love it! Such great costumes. And I've always loved those pics of you in an afro. Perfect!
I get SUCH a kick out of your costumes, Jen! Strong work. You pull them off so well. I don't think i saw the disco dancer costume, but it's great and I especially love the heels. You are one person who truly knows how to have some true fun :)
I never would have tagged you as a tea-partier...but you did it perfectly! ;) The sheep is my favorite, you are such a cute sheep! And Jen, I agree with Ryan. That is really a nice wig on you!
Post a Comment