Friday, June 18, 2010

DAY 1: South Africa vs. Uruguay


After Uruguay scored their third goal, the South African TV announcer said, "Please don't lose interest in the World Cup. It's still a beautiful game." It truly is a beautiful game, and the whole country is alive with World Cup fever. The name of the South African soccer team is Bafana Bafana, and there are signs cheering them on all over the city. Everywhere is also covered in flags - both South African and international ones.

Seth and I watched the first half of the South Africa game at a cafe/restaurant in downtown Johannesburg that was full of locals. They were blowing their vuvuzelas (large, loud horn things) in the restaurant! But they stopped for the Uruguayan national anthem, and for the South African national anthem, they all stood. It was very moving. At random intervals during the game, they would break into song. They also continually chanted, "Come on, boys! Come on, boys!"

For the second half of the game, we walked out on the main square where they were showing the game on three huge screens. We were freezing, so I bought a fleece blanket of the South African flag. Seth wanted to buy one too, but the salesperson was already wrapped in the only one that was left, and she was so cold she refused to sell it. Despite the chill, people were loud and energetic.

I was sad for them when they lost, but they continue to be very friendly and welcoming hosts. For example, at my very first meal, a Black South African family came up and gave us their phone number and address and said that they would give us a tour of Soweto. Often, when we ask for directions, people don't just point us in the right direction but actually walk us to our destination.

Sorry France, but I won't be cheering for you come Tuesday!

2 comments:

Micah E. said...

I AM SO SO SO SO JEALOUS!

Sweet Utah said...

So excited for you! I can't wait to hear all about your adventures.