
Final baby picture epiphany: I am lovable. Not in a narcissistic way, but in a theoretical way - the way everyone is lovable.
Once, a therapist put an empty chair in front of me and told me to visualize my six-year-old self. As soon as I could "see" her, I started to cry. I felt overwhelming love for that little girl; I could feel her worth.
That feeling was accompanied by the realization that, as a child, she had done absolutely nothing to merit love. She had not dated anyone or won any auditions or memorized the states in alphabetical order or earned her Young Womanhood medallion. She was just a regular kid who deserved to be loved because she was inherently good.
Then I thought of all the mean things people would say and do to her. But what hurt the most was realizing that I was the meanest of them all. I told her how sorry I was for all the lies I fed her, for the years when I called her fat and ugly, for the times I berated her for failing. It was a difficult conversation.
In the past year, I have fallen in love with a lot of babies. Thank you Libby and Sarah, Thorvald and Astrid, Schroeder, Gracie, Ramona and Lyle for reminding me once again that you don't have to do anything to be lovable. I love you because you are.
While I had that experience in therapy years ago, my little collection of baby pictures reminds me of that moment. They make me want to treat this little girl well - to encourage her, to cheer her on, to tell her nice things, to give her the best, to help her live up to her potential.
Everyone deserves that.
9 comments:
this made me tear up just a little bit. its always hard to hear that someone doesn't love someone else as much as you do. Thank you for mentioning schro, FYI - save a little bit of "baby love" for #2, which is on its way in August!
That is such a good reminder! I would have to agree that you are very loveable! (:
I have always felt so loved and cherished by so many wonderful people in every era of my life! And fear not, I do love myself. :) I just think it's a process for everyone, and I think it's always nice to remember where our real value comes from.
You rule. And no, the marriage proposals probably won't stop. Haha.
Well said, Jen. I am so blessed to have someone like you around!
Not only are you lovable but seemed to have THE best fashion sense at age 6 than anyone else I've ever met. Wow. So adorable, and growing more so with maturity! We all love you!!!
Lovely post Jen! We think you are fantastic. I've often thought of others as their baby or little child self so as to remind myself they're lovable but hadn't thought to use the trick on myself. Looking forward to seeing you sometime soon,
Claire
Thank you, Jen! I always enjoy your writing, but this post was something special.
I loved every second of your post!!!
Post a Comment