I haven't had any refined sugar for the past 2 weeks! I'm refraining all the way until my birthday, March 20th, the first day of spring. I am eating natural sugars like fruit and honey as well as things that are made with natural sugars, like some breads and tortillas, but that's it. Not even Dorritos or WheatThins count because even though they aren't sweet, they are made with (cue evil background music) high fructose corn syrup.I successfully completed this same challenge last year and liked it so much that I decided to do it again. I really love living like this. I feel more energized, less sluggish in the afternoons and evenings, and less moody. It also simplifies a lot of decision-making. Should I order dessert? Nope! Should I get those Peanut M&M's out of the vending machine? Nope! Should I have one of those donuts that are getting passed around the class? Nope! It's such a relief.
A friend of mine is going without sugar for an entire year and is blogging about it every day here. I'm not quite that ambitious, but when I tell friends about how good I feel right now, they've asked, "Why stop in March?" The answer is corn bread, pancakes, brownies, sour gummy worms, gooey chocolate chip cookies, and pumpkin bread. I can't really imagine life without them permanently.
Yet when I studied up on sugar, I learned that it is actually the root of all evil. It's addictive, it causes obesity, diabetes and cancer. One author even compared it to crack: both are refined white powders.
Last year, I commemorated the end of my fast with a red velvet cake birthday cake (see delicious picture above) that I bought for myself at my favorite Harlem bakery. This year I plan on celebrating by learning how to make my own red velvet cake.
I am confident that I can conquer these months of extremism again, but my next challenge is a bit more daunting: moderation.
P.S. I'm making an exception on Inauguration Day to eat the Obama chocolates that my friend Amy gave me for Christmas. Surely this day calls for all sorts of exceptions!
5 comments:
Perhaps you already know this—1/4 of sugar in the United States is processed using char made from animal bones. So you're helping our friends without a voice too. Way to be!
Are you really feeling better in the PM? Energy levels are higher?
Have you tried sunflower honey? Maybe you ate it in France...delicious!
WE NEED TO HAVE A CHAT. ABOUT SUGAR. ABOUT GOALS. ABOUT BOYS.
wait, so... does your cake say, "Welcome Spring G" as in welcome spring, G! or is it "welcome springg!!" or is it just a misfortunate icing typo?
Post a Comment