Sunday, January 11, 2009

Newsflash: you don't have to be normal to get married

I stumbled across this quote yesterday in my class readings:
The key to a happy marriage isn't having a 'normal' personality but finding someone with whom you mesh. - John Gottman, 1999.
Being normal is not required! Two crazies can be perfectly happy together as long as their psychoses are complementary. I find this humorous and yet strangely comforting.

5 comments:

Brittany said...

all the research to support this hypothesis can be found at BYU

Anonymous said...

I had a moment where I thought "John Gottman" was "John Gotti," which made the quote even funnier.

mav said...

normal = boring

marriage lasts a long time... the more normal they are the more boring they will be.

that's what I say.

Kimpossible said...

Ha ha. Hey Jenn, I just came across your blog and what a welcomed message. Who knew? And all these years I've been trying to be normal.

Tamara said...

ew. normal people are weird.