Tuesday, December 23, 2008

That's Gross

This summer while cleaning out old boxes, I discovered - carefully stored in a Ziploc bag - some of my original leg hair from the very first time that I shaved. I was apparently 10 years, 3 months and 4 days old when my legs first met Gillette, and when I first took scrapbooking to an undesirable extreme. I have absolutely no recollection of this archiving process. But I'm pretty sure I know why I did it: even as a 10-year-old, I was feeling nostalgic about growing up. (And maybe subconsciously sad about standards of beauty for a little girl?)

When I showed it (laughing) to my brother (gagging), I said, "Look how blond it was! I can't believe I even shaved."
"What?!" he replied. "That stuff was long. I can't believe you waited that long."

I am going public with this embarrassment because I am, characteristically, feeling nostalgic about my childhood nostalgia. And I think it's pretty hilarious.

The bag has now been properly disposed of, I promise.

5 comments:

Allen said...

Okay I'm with your brother on this one I mean unless you're part Wookie leg hair should never be that long ;)

Also I really don't care how nostalgic my kids get we are NOT keeping their hair.

beccashim said...

that is probably the sickest thing I have ever seen and I have seen some sick junk in my day. I don't know what's worse, the fact that you kept it in a ziplocked bag for so many years or the fact that it looks more like fur than leg hair.

Kristen Erekson said...

Okay, that is hilarious.

Em said...

ditto to becca. ;)

julie schenk said...

yeh, fur....more than hair. I'm still laughing. I just caught up on your blog. I LOVE the email update on your update. I almost cried with you reading how you so rudely made grandma cry but I also know you had no intention and intention is 99% of it!!! I'm glad you explained the chocolate eating during your sugar fast because that was my first thought when I read your sugar fast part...."Hey, what about the chocolate at the celebration party?" As always, great blog. Great writing. Great experiences. Great girl.