Monday, December 15, 2008

Answers Anyone?

I just finished my first quarter as a social work student (only 5 more to go), and it was probably the most provocative, stimulating and emotional academic experience I've ever had. Here are some of the issues and questions that came up during the course of the last 10 weeks that I'm still grappling with. All attempts at answers are welcome!
  • How have I benefited in life because of my race? What power and privileges to I have just because I was born White?
  • How I have suffered disadvantage in my life because of my gender?
  • Why is it that when Black teenagers are loud and annoying in a public bus, it reflects on their race, but when White teenagers are loud and annoying in a public bus, it reflects on their age or at worse, on their family? (I realized this after riding afternoon buses both in the Bronx and in Seattle. Same behaviors. Different races. Different public reactions.)
  • When will the promises in the Book of Mormon about the flourishing and prospering of the American Indians be fulfilled?
  • How can I fight for social justice and work a 9 to 5 job and have a healthy social life and take care of myself and my family? (As social workers we have a mandate to fight for social justice and to help repair the wrongs that have been perpetuated in our country for generations.)
  • When students treat a female African-American teacher disrespectfully how much of it is about her personality and how much of it is about the students' ingrained racism and sexism shining through? (This was a huge and divisive debate in one of my classes where there was a female African American teacher whom no one liked.)
  • What is a functional and practical economic system that can replace capitalism and create less inequality?
  • How can I respond to the racist/sexist/homophobic/ageist behavior around me without being as disrespectful to that individual as they are being to that group in that moment? (At the election night party I attended, some guy I didn't know made some really inappropriate racial comments and I didn't know how or if I should call him out. I didn't, but then felt like I was being an enabler and a bad social worker.)
  • How have I perpetuated microaggressions?
  • How can I work to see people as whole, complex individuals and not as a set of labels like racist, liberal, gay, Jew, or Latino?
  • How will gay clients respond when they find out that I'm Mormon? (Coming into the program, I was also worried about the repsonse of my fellow students, but they have been inccredibly open to and accepting of me and my Mormon-ness.)
  • Is it bad to encourage and enable people to assimilate into the dominant culture? (I wrote a paper critiquing Jane Addams' for her patronizing view of immigrant culture even though her motive was to help them succede in the American system.)

5 comments:

Jenny said...

These are some great questions, questions that I wish I had the answers to. I'm glad you've had a great semester and look forward to hopefully tackling some of these questions over New Years in San Diego.

jeff said...

Ooh, a new picture and a new look for the blog. I like it. If I ever figure out any real answers to your questions, I'll be sure to pass them on. In the meantime, you'll have to settle for my opinions, which I'll try to send your way sometime soon.

Shopkins said...

Jen!!! I just found your Blog randomly!! How are you doing?! Sounds like you are enjoying your life. I didn't know you went to Seattle, man I'm so out of the loop! Well i hope you have fun in beautiful SD, i'm jealous. Tell the family hi!! I miss your mom!! :)

steph hopkins (platt)

Anonymous said...

Nice new blog cover. I can respond with definitive YES to bullet point number 7. However, it can't be unregulated capitalism and requires protections like the "new deal" which have been slowly stripped away. It is kinda like democracy; it is the worst system...except for any other.

Em said...

These are all such great questions: I am particularly intrigued by no's 3, 8, 11.

No. 8...I feel ya. I never know whether to say something or keep my mouth shut. But in general, I think we should stand up when people make inappropriate and rude remarks--no matter the situation. If we don't, 1) that person will think that what they've said is okay (we enable them, like you said) 2) allow everyone else to think that we're okay with what's just been said...and that we feel the same. I've had some experiences with this here in WY, and let me say, I'd rather be seen as a pot-stirrer causing change than not.

I could go off about question number 1 (in a non-hateful way, of course), but won't b/c this comment is already long enough.

Good luck on your quest for answers.