I've been in a pretty good mood for most of 2013, and I've been trying to figure out why. It could be that I've been taking 5,000 IUs of Vitamin D every day or that I've started a new work-out routine. But I think the real cause of my bliss is this: I've been watching episode after episode of the comedy sitcom Parks and Recreation.
For those of you who haven't seen it, it's like a combination of Thirty Rock and The Office, but the context is a local government office. And it's better. However, I recommend that you start watching from the beginning of season one or two because the background on the characters make the current episodes far more enjoyable.
It takes me longer than 22 minutes to watch each episode because I laugh so loudly and for so long that I have to keep pausing it so that I don't miss what happens next.
I love the juxtaposition of Leslie's earnest, idealistic view
of government with Ron Swanson's disdain for it. (Ron is single-handedly softening my view of Libertarians.) I love that Leslie's
office is covered with pictures of her female political heroines: Eleanor Roosevelt, Sandra Day O'Connor, Madeleine Albright and Nancy Pelosi. I love all the askance glances at the camera, the improvised monologues, the short scenes after the credits, and especially, ESPECIALLY, Ben and Leslie's love story.
Some days I have to remind myself that I don't actually live in Pawnee, Indiana and that I can't actually go on a lunch date with Leslie Knope. I knew that things were getting bad when I was hanging out one Friday night with a friend, and all I could think about was when I could go home to watch another episode. Some nights, I get too busy or too tired to watch even one short episode, and I start to feel homesick for Pawnee and my friends there.
I just finished season 3, and frankly, I'm a little worried about what is going to happen to my mood when I am all caught up with season 5, and I have no more to watch. Road trip to Indiana anyone?
6 comments:
I'm so glad you found this show! It's my all-time favorite sitcom, not counting "The Simpsons," which is kind of a separate category anyway.
If you're just at at the start of Season 4, you still have a lot of great stuff coming your way, including last week's Best. Episode. Ever!
I'll totally go to Indiana with you.
I like that it is so positive. It is so rare to find functional happy relationships on TV where the couple edifies and uplifts and adores each other. That's what I like about Leslie and Ben. No sarcasm or put downs or mean spirited teasing.
Its great.
She's also so positive about her work and her friendships. I like it!
Did you know that the actor who plays Ron Swanson really enjoys woodworking just like his character? I read an article about him and these tables he makes out of large tree trunk sections. It made Parks and Rec that much cooler for me.
"Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men, from men to gladiators and from gladiators to Swansons."
Jen- I can't wait for this road trip. For real.
I just discovered it last year and I would come home from work every day and eat some soup while watching "one" episode, which inevitably turned into 3 or 4. I have been homesick for Pawnee since I finished season 4 (waiting for 5 to get to Netflix). LOVE IT!!!
I read an article that explained the creators wanted a show where the characters sincerely liked each other and are kind to each other-- just the opposite of most TV shows. That made me like it even more. And in glad you're being softened towards Libertarians. :)
Post a Comment