Sunday, January 8, 2012

Christmas Rainbows

Christmas 2011 featured two unique rainbow creations:

1. My brothers Steven and Jeffrey made this fantastic piece of rainbow art for me by gluing crayons along the top of foam board and then melting them with a blow drier. The white space is the outline of a picture of our family (see above) that they had photo-copied and taped down to the board during the melting process. Isn't it beautiful? And rad?! I feel cooler when I look at it. Who knew my bros were such creative little artists. My other brother, Ryan, and my soon-to-be-sister-in-law, Swantje, discovered the idea from pinterest and passed on their inspiration from their Hawaii home. I took down a different poster in my room in order to give it a well-deserved prominent spot on the wall. Such an original, personal, thoughtful gift!



2. Weeks before Christmas, I decided that this was going to be the year that I tried my hand at Rainbow Jello. I don't even like jello - the fake flavor and the gelatinous texture gross me out - but I had this creation once when I was 16, and the experience seared my little heart. Making it by myself seemed like both a challenge and a tribute to my Mormon roots. Plus, it is just so pretty - in a fake-processed-food-sort-of-way. An old family friend shared with me her recipe which consisted of taking six boxes of different colored jello, and splitting them in two. I left one part plain and added plain yogurt to the second part, so there were 12 total layers: a bright layer and a creamy layer of each color. Allowing each individual layer to set took all day. The end result both delighted and amused me.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

and the jello actually tasted good! who knew??

Pops said...

Some beautiful color while you wait for the next rainbow over Raineer.

Abaker said...

Wow that art is super awesome, what a great gift. And I am with you on the jello. I feel like when I visit Utah it somehow is incorporated into every meal I have, which is disappointing, but sometimes you've just got to embrace your roots and dig in.

Jamie said...

Fabulous. I can't believe your brothers thought to add the family outline. Well, wait. Yes I can. Because your family is awesome. The other day Steve went riding on a tandem bike with his little brother. As we discussed it yesterday (and how awesome it was), Steve said, "It feels like something the Nuckols would do."