Thursday, September 8, 2011

Lost Access


My passport expired June 17, 2011.

I didn't realize it until I wanted to take a friend to Canada a few weeks ago and decided to check my worn little blue book.

When I was confronted with the reality of expiration, I felt both guilty and panicky. 

Guilty because it seems like a betrayal to both myself and my country. This is not who I am! I left the country at least once every year from 2005-2010. One of the best days of my life was when I had to get extra pages inserted into my passport because all the others were full of sundry stamps and visas. How did I let this happen? Holding a valid passport is a way of saying to the rest of the world: "I am interested in you." Now, I am failing to do that.

I also felt panicky because suddenly I realized that I am trapped. Grounded. Stuck. My liberty has been compromised. I do not currently have any international trips planned, but even if I did, I couldn't go. I have lost the peace of mind of knowing that I could flee the country at the drop of a hat. No more four-day weekends to Costa Rica. No more spontaneous dance parties in Vancouver. 

But now I am scared to send off my passport for fear that I won't get it back. What if they randomly decide to keep it? What if it gets lost in the mail? I think I am going to color photocopy the best pages before I send it off - just in case.

When I do get my new passport - one with an embedded chip, I should celebrate my renewed sense of identity and freedom with a trip. Who wants to come? Where should we go?

5 comments:

REIJA said...

The Robber and I want to take a celebratory international MD-vacation instead of going to my medical school graduation. Where would you suggest? We have zero dollars but lots and lots of enthusiasm for each other. And the Robber can carry heavy things. Those are our assets. Any thoughts? p.s. You should meet him sometime. Come to the foreign lands of Menlo Park. We're making naan in our oven these days, isn't that exotic?

sa-rah said...

I definitely need more stamps in my passport - how about New Zealand or Australia?

Anonymous said...

I want to go on a trip with you Jen!!! My passport still has 8 years left on it.
xoxoxox

ps. I heard you are a hard competitor in words with friends from Jared Greeen...hahah. I always lose to him!

Laura said...

Great post Jen! I recently felt first-hand the importance of having your valid passport when the Indian government took 2 days longer to process my visa than they said. On the day I was to fly to Brazil I waited with anticipation for the 10am FedEx shipment. It didn't come and I was trapped, and forced to change my flight 2 hours before it took off.

Greetings from Pune, India, somewhere you wish you could be, but oh, you don't have a passport.

triciarnorton said...

I felt that way too! I love having a current passport!