Sunday, February 27, 2011

Classic?

I just saw the film Breakfast at Tiffany's for the very first time. My initial reaction is: "Huh?"

I really do not understand how a gigolo, a nameless cat, a White man made over to look like an Asian, a farmer looking for his 14-year-old bride, a Brazilian millionaire, the mafia and an anorexic spaz all add up to make a classic.

The costumes were beautiful, and there were some interesting shots, but the rest of it was odd, incongruous and unbelievable. I watched it with two other Breakfast at Tiffany's novices, and throughout the film we took turns interjecting, "What?! This is so weird."

Is this movie the film version of Moby Dick - a classic that no one actually likes?

At least a catchy pop song came out of it.

11 comments:

Jamie said...

THANK YOU! I totally do not get it either. All it did for me was get Moon River stuck in my head.

pops said...

Whaddaya mean? I love Moby Dick...at least the first few pages...

Pops

Abaker said...

Yes, I had this same reaction when I first watched it! I think people have just seen the poster and think it looks cool and actually have no idea what it's about.

steve said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

OMG I thought the same thing, but then I watched Love and Other Disasters and it actually made Breakfast at Tiffany's make a LOT more sense - it is kind of a modernized version of it. Now I get how groundbreaking and beautiful the movie must have been for its time.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jerkolas said...

Most classics, be they a movie, book, or other piece of art, cannot be adequately judged outside of their era of creation less contemporary sensibilities skew the final verdict. If this is not true, then the perhaps the only worthwhile quality of a classic would be it's "timelessness".

Having said that, I have never seen this, but this is probably Audrey Hepburn's biggest role and that (plus her Hollywood status) makes this a classic. I mean, she's really cute.

D-n-E said...

I concur completely. I have never liked the show and it has always puzzled me how it has been considered a classic.

Lara said...

Someone tried to make me watch this movie in high school--- I had the same reaction! I think everyone just pretends that there is something really deep and wonderful about the movie. =)
Remember how we loved ever after? What a great love story.... =)

Em said...

I saw this film when I was probably 20? I loved it! I was also clueless. I must have still been entering the foray of adult movies I never watched while living at home.

I actually bought it two years ago (not having seen it again) and made chuche sit and watch it and we HATED it! Who knows where it is now. I think he made me give it to Goodwill.

I think it's famous because of Audrey's clothing. That is it. Oh, wait, the song, too.

Ande said...

Right?!?! So glad we had the same reaction. I didn't even finish it because I got so bored. Also. Love the blog.