I floss my teeth now.It is not because South Africans have particularly good or bad dental hygiene practices.
It is because while I was there, I realized that I put a lot of effort into doing big things. I go to the World Cup in Africa! Direct Girls Camp! Bike down the Pacific Coast!
But I am not as good at the small routine things of everyday life, like flossing. I want to do better at the parts of living that are not big and showy. I want to learn how to get out of my bed without pushing snooze three times. I want to write letters to my missionary brother more frequently. I want to do laundry before there are no underwear left in my drawer.
Traveling (partly) alone in a foreign country could seem like a foreboding challenge. For me, committing to a routine of small tasks - like teeth flossing - is way more scary. I have always associated routine with entrapment and boredom; it is as if I've been anticipating a mid-life crisis since I was 14 years old.
However, last week, I started a full-time job as a clinical therapist. For the first time in my 29 years, I will not be on an academic schedule. I will work 9 to 5, five days a week and have three weeks of vacation.
Before my trip, the thought of this impending schedule caused me great anxiety. But I am trying to embrace it. I am ready to commit to regularity. I am ready to floss daily.
I know I can do big and spontaneous. Now I want to do know that I can do - and hopefully enjoy - small and routine too.
4 comments:
That is awesome! I must admit that I am a recent flossing convert. I had never flossed more than 2 days in a row until my last check up. I made a goal to floss ever day and I am going 6 months strong (I only missed one day when I had Paisley!). For me I just felt like it took so much more time in my nightly routine (really it is like 30 sec.)and even though they say if you had the choice between flossing and brushing you should floss I sometimes still have to reconvert myself to the idea at night! Good luck! I believe in you! "If you floss 'em, they'll be awesome" as a dental sticker once reminded me!
P.S. do you floss before or after brushing? Just wondering.
You're going to do great, at flossing and the new job. I just know it.
You can do it! I have faith! But remember you have your whole life to be in a routine. Just enjoy your chance to do whatever whenever!
Aha! Jen! This is SO true about you! However, I have to add that even though you prefer spontaneity, you have an amazing ability to spice up the routine. I think back to seminary mornings, seeing you at school, and three hours of church every week. I would say you did a pretty spectacular job at keeping those things (and more!) exciting.
"We look forward to the new and unknown- forgetting it too will become common and routine..."
And, one more thought for the night, being a mom might be the winner of most routine job. Granted some things are different like "will it be a little poop pellets in your diaper or a big diarreah mess?" =) But what makes the mom-sameness bearable--and even enjoyable-- is love. Love makes doing the same things over and over again for my kids worth it.
I wonder if God thinks His existence is new and exciting each day or more like same-old same-old.
And if you can't tell, I wish I were talking to you instead of your blog tonight! =)
Post a Comment