Monday, May 3, 2010
What Precedes Us
I attended a Mormon singles conference last weekend in Huntington Beach, California. One night, I was sitting in a hot tub with a bunch of people I didn't know. (Let me just take this opportunity to say that no matter how comfortable you are with your body, it is always awkward having "getting to know you" conversations with strangers in swimsuits. I don't really want to be acquainted with a man's chest before I know his name.)
Anyway, one guy was asking me questions about my life, and as he pieced together my biography, he said, "Wait a second. I think I've seen you before on youtube!" I silently panicked while trying to remember what he possibly could have seen. Suddenly, being half naked with this guy felt significantly less awkward than the conversation we were having.
It turns out that a few months ago, my parents had collaborated with some family friends to set me up with this guy's roommate. Like all good 21st-century stalkers, they had googled me and found this year-and-a-half-old footage of me and my brother Jeffrey lip-syncing. Although my new friend claimed that both he and his roommate thought that I was very "entertaining," his roommate never called me.
Exactly two days after that conversation in the hot tub, I received a voicemail from the film's intimidatingly cool co-star, Jeffrey. He has just moved to Washington, D.C. for a summer internship, and in his own words:
On the first day of my internship, when an old family friend, Rachel, was introducing me to people, this middle-aged man told me that he recognized me from somewhere. He started saying that he recognized me from TV or something, and I thought he was just trying to be funny. But he insisted, and finally claimed that he had remembered where he had seen me: on youtube. And then it clicked. He had seen the youtube video of us dancing to "Ain't No Mountain High Enough." It turns out that Rachel had looked it up and shown it to everyone in the office, and it became a joke in the office even before I had gotten there.
After these back-to-back revelations, we took down a family holiday video we had made for our other brother, Ryan - ridiculous family behavior that should not be in the public domain. We also changed the name of the lip-syncing video from "Jen and Jeff Nuckols singing" to something a little more discreet. Little did we know that when we covered the TV with a green sheet and drew posters with Sharpies, we were preparing for one of the most important performances of our lives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
aannnnnnd that was the highlight of my day.
You should be proud, Jen! That's fantastic.
I just watched this with Grace, and when it was over, she said, "More!? More?!!?" Also, I am going to send you my embarrassing YouTube video... but privately. I am not so brave as you. :)
That is HYSTERICAL! I had seen the video before too...but I know you.
P.S. I slept in your bed this weekend. I wish you would have been home!!
Don't like getting acquainted with half-naked men? You know when it comes to meeting people we are encouraged to put our best foot forward. For some of us guys that means not wearing a shirt. Plus shirts are so chafing.
This is so flattering that I have reposted it on YouTube with at least 50 possible searchable words that will tie it back to you. I'm sending an email blast with the link to everyone I know who has single sons between the age of 16 and 60. Pops
Jen, I laughed so hard at this! Love it! Please always make home videos with poster board and your little brother!
Two things:
1. Video awesome
2. If I am not more interested in seeing the mans chest then hearing his name, i never end up asking for his name. Hmmmmmmm....
:)
Um. This may be the best post I've ever read. The freeze-frame of the youtube video is also fantastic; how do they always manage to find the singular most awkward pose in an entire video and then use that one shot to advertise it across the world?
That is really funny, Jen! And I didn't know Jeffrey was out here for an internship! So fun!
I concur with Kurt... In fact I was just gonna say I DO really want to be acquainted with a man's chest before I know his name. You should come running with me sometime around Greenlake in the heat. I'm sure it'll get you to change your mind :) ps you.are.a.bombshell.
If there were lip syncing awards you would definitely win one for that performance! Way to go!!! The internet makes the world so small!
HAHA! I can't believe those boys didn't call after watching your film. You are the coolest actress on youtube! That is such a great story. wow. Why does stuff like this always happen to you?
I'm surprized there are not copy-cat video's all over YouTube. Seriously Jnuck. You rock my world!
Post a Comment