Monday, April 12, 2010

Some people have pets. I have sandals.

I lost my Chacos in Hawaii. Somewhere between the car, the beach, and four hitchhikers, they disappeared.

I don't consider myself an overly materialistic person, but I was devastated; they have been my companions for the past 6 years.

We went to 10 different countries together.

Together we river-rafted in Jackson Hole, traversed Dominican waterfalls, and attempted to look granola while walking around town.

When they got stinky or muddy, I would carefully wash them off with the hose and let them dry in the sun.

They brought other good things into my life: when I wore them to visit Brazil, my Brazilian friends were so appalled that they took me to buy a new pair of strappy plastic high heels.

We were even in a motorcycle accident together. The other rider's combat boots were shredded in the accident - it was a miracle that my feet survived unscathed.

After an appropriate two-week mourning period, I went to R.E.I.:

I hope we can become good friends.

10 comments:

Jerkolas said...

THE BLOG LIVES!!! Maybe your blogging frequency will be renewed as well?

By the way, you picked the right color. I like 'em more all ready.

Anonymous said...

tribute to chacos.
love it.
i wore mine today.
they arn't as cute as your new ones though.

Micah E. said...

That is hugely devastating.

I had to get a new passport a couple of years ago. I'd imagine it's a similar feeling.

Jamie said...

Bigger and better things, Jen. I like the red better--they're sassy.

triciarnorton said...

That was a sweet eulogy! Will you write one for my funeral :)

pops said...

I'm just surprised that you didn't wear them to pedal your bike down the coast

Cassia said...

I hope you can visit another 10 countries wearing your new sandals!!!!
:)
Beijos

Anonymous said...

I love my Chacos. I can't remember the last time I didn't have zigzag tan lines on my feet. Are you sure you didn't "lose" your old pair so you had an excuse to go Chaco shopping?

Unknown said...

Jen. You inspired me to buy Chaco's long before I read this post! Your red ones ROCK. So happy to know I've got an expert in my back pocket next time I am unsure of weather the activity is "Chaco appropriate" or not!

PS. I agree with anonymous-- mighty suspicious that you have a picture of your feet sans Chacos right before "losing" them....

Lara said...

I love reading your posts. It makes me want to live my life in close proximity to you. =) miss you!