I think that the wonderful and intense emotions of the past 2 days are best captured in a series of text messages that I received on my phone from friends and family all over the country:
Monday, November 3
4:51 pm
Phone banking. What you up to? - G.M.
6:02 pm
Sitting in stats class learning about the null hypothesis. - Me
6:27 pm
Grad school! You aren't sacrificing everything for the cause?! - G.M.
Tuesday, November 4
7:03 a.m.
I am so excited for today. I know that's it's all going to go well and that Obama will be elected. We'll have a party after the results come out. - N.A.
8:59 am
In a huge line to vote. Very exciting, very diverse. I am seeing turbans and yamakas, whites, Latinos and 1/3 African Americans. I love our country and L.A! - J.P.N.
9:04 am
I'm in the gym with my fellow voters - it's very emotional. What a tapestry. What hope! - J.P.N.
7:06 pm
Are you watching it? It could be decided...I am so excited. - K.K.
8:09 pm
Congratulations. You should be in Harlem right now. There is all of this music and drums and marching and helicopters. It's like the superbowl only louder and everywhere. - B.S.
8:15 pm
We did it. - G.M.
8:44 pm
A lot of people are honking horns and bangin pots; they're at the state house and screaming like crazy. - T.S. (former student reporting from Harlem.)
8:22 pm
I'm so happy I want to cry. - Me
8:51 pm
I did cry. This is beautiful. Oh Nuckols progress is possible. - M.V.
8:52 pm
Your boy dominated the nation. Congrats -- the next 8 years should be fun! - L.H.
9:11 pm
I've been weepy all day. -J.H.N
9:12 pm
OBAMA! YES WE CAN! AH JEN! WE DID IT! - E.N.
9:14 pm
This is a historic moment. It is amazing to live in a country that could elect someone that comes from a group that was a persecuted minority just decades ago. This is truly amazing. - J.H.N.
9:29 pm
Yes! - J.P.
8 comments:
I feel honored to be quoted in the best blog on the the web. Dad..aka JHN. By the way, you DID turn Pennsylvania for Barack.
What a wonderfully modern record of a wonderfully modern victory.
ah jen, monday you were learning about null hypothesis, i was learning about that yesterday! Hah and oh what a glorious day in America, Obama truly is the face of America. I am so happy!!!
It is exciting that our country has gotten to the point of looking beyond race, and looking at the person for what is inside. It was exciting to see the reaction of so many African Americans and the hope that this gives them in achieving their own goals and dreams. I hope that continues. To be honest, I hope your man proves all of us McCain supporters wrong. Some want to see him fall flat on his face, but I hope he doesn't for our country's sake.
love this.
it really was the best day.
JEN! I am so happpy you found our little Jonesy blog! HOW HAVE YOU BEEN? I always think about you when I think about my wonderful time in CA. Oh how I miss those days, but being married and a mom is AMAZING and I wouldn't change it for the world. What are you up to these days? AND how are you???
I was so excited that didn't mind waiting over an hour to vote. Even weeks later I feel glad to have been a part of a positive change.
I just saw Lil' Rappin' Jen's break out video. When will the next tour start?
Dear Anonymous, Who are you? Thanks for supporting my rapping career.
Post a Comment