Wednesday, August 6, 2008

patriotic?

When I walked through customs at LAX on August 1st and saw the large painted letters, "Welcome to the United States of America," I got a little choked up. Every time I've re-entered the country, the passport officials say, "Welcome home." I love that. Just a few days earlier, I had seen a picture of a George Washington in Boston at the Thai Princess' photography exhibit. It moved me.

Yet when I lived in France growing up, I was always a little disgusted by my American-ness. As a history major, I was confronted again and again with the U.S.A's evil mistakes. In college, expressing disdain for country was trendy and necessary to prove that you understood its weaknesses. It made you a good liberal.

While I can despise some of our country's policies past (thank you, Howard Zinn) and present (only 4 more months, GWB!!!) , the more time I have spent abroad since my mission, the more my love of country has increased. I love the vastness, the diversity, the land, the innovation, the history, the arts of this nation. I feel deeply grateful for the opportunities my family has had here. These were the thoughts running through my head as I got my passport stamped. (It's full now - I need to get additional visa pages!)

But as my cousin Emily drove me home, I was affronted by the consecutive miles of fast-food chains, the huge gas-guzzling cars only containing one passenger, the strip malls, the inequality, the empty excess. I could feel my warm feelings for America starting to dissipate. It's complicated.

5 comments:

beccashim said...

No need to worry. Every country everywhere has some pretty incredible inequality, waste and frustrating policies. Awesome.

Jnuck said...

I remember being very touched by Brazilian patriotism, which is a country that definitely has its own share of inequality, waste and frustrating policies. Their form of patriotism was full of passion, but it wasn't full of superiority, which I think American patriotism often is.

Lara said...

You are in America now?? Wonderful! And, amen to this post. And, I think the mission makes us biast. I feel more connected to Asia than South America. I'm excited to talk to you miss jen!

Cara Jones said...

Jen! It is Cara (Charlesworth)... It has been so long, but I just saw that you have a blog and I just finished reading all about your adventures! How fun!!! Jeff and I just had our first baby- a little girl named Mckenna Grace! It has been so much fun becoming a mom! You should check out our blog at jc-jones.blogspot.com! Hope to hear from you soon!

Lady Holiday said...

Welcome home Jen! We miss you in New York. I loved your blog. You should definitely keep it up.